Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Rich in History
Emmanuel Episcopal Church is the only downtown Rapid City church still in its original building. A small group began holding services in Rapid City in 1887, under the leadership of George G. Ware, a lay reader who was later ordained and became the first rector. The cornerstone of the little sandstone church was laid November 10, 1887, and the first services were held in the new building in 1888.
The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The original church building was enlarged by an addition to the south in the early 1940s, which also incorporated a stone Parish Hall adjacent on the east. In 1954, a large, new Parish Hall with a stage, kitchen and basement classrooms was added and in 1991, an addition for office space and additional classrooms was completed.
Our longest-serving Rector was the Rev. Mr. E. Jerome Pipes, who was here from 1934 until 1960. Perhaps the best-remembered event of his tenure was the attendance of President Franklin D. Roosevelt at a regular Sunday service in 1936.
Rectors have included the Rev. Dr. Hanford L. King, Jr. (later Bishop of Idaho), 1960-1972; the Rev. Mr. Hewes “Doc” Phillips, 1972-1977; the Rev. Mr. David Anderson, 1978-1987; The Rev. Mr. David A. Cameron,1987-2006; the Very Rev. Dr. Robert Wagner, 2006 interim rector; the Rev. Canon David L. Seger, 2006-2008 interim rector; and the Rev. Richard Ressler, 2008-2013.